Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 1996 09:20:18 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@axp5.physik.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: vm questions

>i'm currently reading "the design & implementation ..." as some kind of
>relaxation to all the learning for my physics examinations and have some
>questions about the vm stuff - can someone - john or david - or maybe someone
>else please look at them ?
>
>* on page 145 is written: "a limitation of the implementation is that it
>cannot collaps two objects if either of them has allocated a pager. this
>limitation is serious, since pagers are allocated when the system begins
>running short of memory -- precisely the time when reclaiming of memory from
>collapsed objects is most necesarry." - is this the swap leaking bug in the
>original 4.4 BSD vm system ? - how is this problem avoided by the FreeBSD vm
>system ? (it was from the chapter "collapsing of shadow chains")

   It was in the original system. It's fixed in FreeBSD by changing the code
to allow objects with pagers to be collapsed.

>* on page 158 is written: "a more consistent interface can be obtained by
>using a common cache for both the virtual-memory system and the
>filesystem. three approaches to merging the two caches are being
>undertaken. one approach is to have the filesystem use objects in the
>virtual-memory system as its cache; a second approach is to have the
>virtual-memory objects that map files use the existing filesystem cache; the
>third approach is to create a new cache that is a merger of the two existing
>caches, and to convert both the virtual memory and the filesystems to use this
>new cache. each of these approaches has its merits and drawbacks; it is not
>yet clear which approach will work best." (this is from the chapter "vnode
>pager") - my questions here are: which of the three ways is implemented in
>FreeBSD ? - which are implemented in other operating systems (linux, sunos,
>digital unix, etc.) ?

   We use the first approach. I can't speak about what other systems do.

>* can anyone please write some lines about the basic changes to the vm-system
>in FreeBSD (so that i can understand it :-) - i don't know much about the
>kernel stuff other than reading the mailinglists and commit-messages - but i
>think i understand whats written in the above book - i hope at least partially
>:-) - it would also be interesting to get some feeling for the fork/exec/pipe
>changes ?
>
>would be nice if someone could scribble something down about it - so that my
>couriosity after reading the book is satsified :-) - a lot of thanks in
>advance

   Yeah, we could write a book about this...and perhaps someday we will. A
description of the changes is far beyond what can be written in email.

>p.s.: and one last question - what is the state of 4.4 BSD ? - in the book it
>is said that lite 2 was really the last one - but from some mailinglists it
>sounds that kirk and maybe others are heavily working on filesystems etc. -
>will there be something like lite 3 ?

   There are no plans for a lite-3 that I know of right now. Kirk is doing
consulting work for BSDI and is working on some FFS related performance
issues.

-DG

David Greenman