Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:02:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boa small/fast web server

Hi all,

Following up my problems with Boa... I was reading the notes page on
thttpd (http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/notes.html, "On the listen
queue length"), which mentions that the queue for new TCP connections can
be shallow, and if an application doesn't respond fast enough to connects
that queue will be overflowed. Result: connections refused until the queue
has one or more connections processed/cleared from it.

netstat -s shows, in part...

        27286 connection requests
        1056360 connection accepts
        368146 bad connection attempts
        315486 listen queue overflows
        ^^^^^^

I think that is what is happening here - these stats account for a little
more than 16 hours of uptime, or an average of around 5 refused
connections per second for those entire 16 hours!

While this would probably just be delaying the inevitable, does anyone
know how to change the length of this queue in FreeBSD 4.x? sysctl -a
doesn't seem to list anything that leaps out. I'll have a hunt around in
the kernel source too, to see if I can find anything.

The real problem is most likely server load, and Boa trying to process new
connections in time (perhaps part of it is swapped out or otherwise busy).
Like I said, this is a "no budget" site, so there's no happy ending in
sight at the moment. :-\

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/