Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 09:32:30 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        mark_wright@datacard.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble using my xircom ethernet card

Oops, just noticed that the issue was with DHCP ...

... Sorry, I was being distracted by a 16-month-old whom had just made the
connection between the mouse, and the pointer on the screen ... and had,
furthermore, just grasped, at the same time, the connection between buttons on
the mouse, and menus on the screen ...

... Smart kid. <preen>

-- richard

mark_wright@datacard.com wrote:

> I'm trying to install RELEASE-4.2 on my laptop, and I'm having some trouble
> with my Xircom CE2 pcmcia NIC.  I don't get any activity lights on my
> dongle, and it can't find my DHCP servers when I try to do an FTP install.
> If I go to virtual terminal 2, I see the following:
>
> DEBUG: ioctl(3, TIOCCONS, NULL) = 0 (success)
> Code 136 not found
> Code 136 not found
> code unknown ignored
> Code 137 not found
> Code 137 not found
> code unknown ignored
> xe0 at port 0x240-0x247 iomem 0xd0000-0xd0FFF irq 7 slot 1 on pccard1
> xe0: Xircom CE2, bonding version 0x40
> xe0: Ethernet address 00:80:c7:7b:97:8f
> /etc/pccard_ether: not found
> DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa0 to sl0
>
> When I do my FTP install, the install program sees my xe0.  I select it,
> don't select ipv6, do select DHCP.  Then it just hangs fo a while before
> giving up on DHCP.  No lights go on on the network dongle.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Mark Wright
> mwright@pro-ns.net

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
415.664.6291 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA