Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:05:06 -0800
From:      John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
To:        newbie@XFree86.Org
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>, XFree86 General Discussion List <XPert@XFree86.Org>
Subject:   Re: [Newbie]!! WILL $PayPal$ FOR XF 4.2.0 HELP !!

Am Freitag den, 29. M=E4rz 2002, um 18:29, schrieb Peter Leftwich:

> {To whomever helps me first/best, I decree "name your PayPal=20
> $$FEE$$ !!"}
>

> I've attached two files, one is relevant dmesg output (sorted in order=20=

> of
> video then keyboard then mouse stuff) and the other is the default=20
> output
> file "XF86Config.new" which was created by the "XFree86 -configure"=20
> command.
>
> All I wish for are these three (3) things, from least to highest=20
> priority:
>
> (1) Is it possible to use SVGA (blanktime, screen_saver.ko modules) in
> syscons/console?
>
> (2) What changes must I make to the default XF86Config.new file to use
> atkbd and /dev/sysmouse (ums0) instead of "keyboard" and "/dev/mouse?"

In my XF86Config for 4.1.0 XFree86 and using NetBSD 1.5.2 there is a=20
sequence
of lines starting with:

Section "InputDevice"

This is were the keyboard characteristics are indicated. What I find=20
there
looks pretty generic, even though I'm using a ps2 external keyboard on
my laptop (some of the integral keyboard keys no longer work...)

Further on:

another

Section "ImputDevice"

gives the mouse data. In my NetBSD case, I needed to specify
the '/dev/wsmouse' device rather than '/dev/mouse' to get my Presario=20
touch
pad to work as 'the mouse'. I have not tried an external mouse as I'm
already using the PS2 port, and well, haven't had the guts to try a USB=20=

mouse...

> (3) What lines must be *added* to the default XF86Config.new file to=20=

> use a
> DefaultDepth of 16 (or 24) and a DefaultResolution of 800x600, so that
> XFree86 will work with my ATI All-in-Wonder 128 16mb AGP video card =
and
> Dell M781p monitor (supposed ranges are hscan 30-85kHz, vscan =
50-160kHz,
> and optimal preset is apparently "1024x768 @ 85Hz")??

I had to re-arrange the list of resolutions from the default of=20
640x480... to
be 1024x768 during the configuration process. You could manually do this
which are further down in the config file.

Don't know if that helps, but, yes, XFree86 is a pain to 'install and=20
configure'...