Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 13:12:30 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremy@cfs.purdue.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: P5 w/ Adaptec AHA-2940W SCSI card

>	Greetings friends!
>
>Here's an interesting phenom that you may not have seen yet!
>During the initial boot from floppy before installation (2.0 and
>2.0.5) everything begins to boot alright, but immediately after the
>phase the system panics with RAM parity error.  Probable hardware
>problem.  I isolated the error to our Adaptec AHA-2940W SCSI card
>(PCI) by removing it and booting with only a 1.44 3.5" floppy
>installed.  The install process then begins normally.  The AHC0
>device is not even probed which I find odd since I was under the
>impression that it was included in the generic kernal distribution.
>	Any hints/suggestions you may provide would be very helpful!
>Thanks in advance!
>	-Jeremy

Can you give me some info on the type of periferals on the 2940(W)?
It may be that you are tickling a bug that was in the 2.0.5 driver,
but has been corrected now.

Does the adapter work okay under dos?  Have you checked termination?
Is the adapter in a bus mastering PCI slot?  Just want to ensure that you
don't have any strange problems with your configuration.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM