Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:53:58 -0500
From:      "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Graham North" <northg@shaw.ca>, <mark@mkproductions.org>, "questions freebsd" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Tightening up ssh

The fact of life is there is no way to stop ssh logon attacks
as long as you have port 22 open to the public internet.

You all ready see ssh doing its job correctly by not
allowing unauthorized logons.

Review the questions archives, this subject has been beat
to death the last 3 weeks.

There are some port application that read the hosts.allow log and
auto creates firewall rules to block that attacking ip address.
But this is just busy work as it does not stop the packets
hitting your front door or really add any additional security
over what native ssh is providing you.

A more popular method is to change the port number ssh uses and
just have your remote ssh users use that port number when they
remote logon to ssh.

Now the mass majority of script kiddies & robots attackers will
find port 22 closed and lose interest in you.
Only an dedicated attacker who has it out for just you, and knows
your ip address all ready would make the special effort to scan all
the high order port numbers looking for a ssh response.

Read the end of this doc for more details on how to change ssh's
port number.

Direct link to "Example of Host SSH & Win SSH Clients" is
http://elibrary.fultus.com/technical/index.jsp?topic=/com.fultus.doc
s.software/books/ssh_how-to/cover.html