Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:05:25 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Steve Wilson <swwilso1@uiuc.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation Problems

Steve Wilson wrote:

> I'm having trouble installing the new 2.2.2 version.  I have a P133 CPU,
> 48Mb Ram, a connor 1.6Gb IDE HD, a mitsumi 4x ATAPI cd-rom installed as
> the slave off the first IDE master on the motherboard, and one 3.5"
> floppy drive.
>
> When I boot from the install floppy, after the kernel configuration
> screens, and after the device probing, before sysinstall starts, I get
> the following error message
>
> changing root to fd0c
> panic: double fault
>
> syncing disks ...
>
> If I use the install.bat to install from the walnut-creek cd-rom, I get
> the same message panic message without trying to change root to
> fd0c.
>
> I would appreciate any help/advice that you could give. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Steve Wilson
> swwilso1@uiuc.edu

There seems to be a problem with later versions of the 2.2-RELENG branch
on specific hardware configurations. There's still not an explenation to
why it happens, nor a complete list of configurations that cause it. The
workaround would be to use either an older 2.2 install disk (like the
one from 2.2.1) or a newer 3.0-current install disk to install 2.2.2.
Once you install it you should be OK (you can then even run
/stand/sysinstall on your 2.2.2 system). When installing with a floppy
from another version, be sure to modify the version in the Options
screen to the one you're actually installing.

Good luck,
Nadav