Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 05:49:03 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net
Cc:        roberto@keltia.Freenix.FR, nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, rich@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and the new malloc

Don't know if Rich is listening to -current, so let me comment on this.

 * Basically, the stock BSD malloc caused a number of programs to be less
 * useful than they were if compiled against GNU malloc.

The largest (literally) example was the X server.  My 3.1.1 XF86_S3 in
16-bit mode routinely grew over 20MB and it was, um, very annoying, to
say the least.  With gnumalloc, it rarely goes over 10MB.  Ditto for
xv.  With the old libc malloc, there really wasn't much choice but to
use gnumalloc.

We'll have to test how phkmalloc works, and see what we should
recommend them for 3.1.3 (or 3.2?).  I'm going to compile the X server
with phkmalloc tomorrow (I'm doing a make world now) and let you guys
know if something goes "puff" or "bloat".

Satoshi