Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:01:50 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        daniel@electroteque.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD. Should I buy or download?

daniel@electroteque.org wrote:

>>Hi there,
>>
>>                                    Is it best to buy a boxed FreeBSD?
>>or download it?
>>
>>Steven.
>>

>Depends on your bandwidth, i stuffed the install a few times, so
>downloading the ports collection a few times was really painful.

A smart thing to do (low b/w) is skip ports via sysinstall.
Perhaps even skip src via sysinstall.  Get a minimal install
going, use sysinstall "post config" to add the cvsup-without-gui
*package*, then let it grab src and ports for you.  Once you've got
src, you can do the buildworld/kernel stuff and get a complete system.

Took me two years to get around to thinking of it --- I'm sure
others had thought of it long before, and I'd just never read about it.

Made life easier last time I did a box via modem instead of
broadband...cvsup can pick up where it left off most of the
time.  YMMV.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.