Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:25:44 +0100
From:      Lars Thegler <lars@thegler.dk>
To:        Aaron Dalton <aaron@daltons.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple copies of the same port

Aaron Dalton wrote:
 > I am currently maintaining the port devel/p5-Heap-Simple which currently
 > requires perl5.6.  The author has released a new-and-improved version
 > that now requires perl5.8.  As not everybody runs 5.8 (I currently do
 > not) I would like to keep the 5.6 version available.  I am new to port
 > maintanance and am unsure how to proceed:

Hi Aaron,

Sorry for the late response, and you may have found a solution to your
issue anyway, but here goes:

If *really* *really* want to keep the older version, you want to take a
look look at databases/p5-DBI-137, which was split off the main
databases/p5-DBI for this same reason. DBI v 1.37 was the last version
to work under perl 5.005_03, so to keep DBI functionality under older
perls, this port was created. Ports depending on DBI would then have a
conditional dependency (see databases/p5-DBI-Shell for an example).

Hope this helps.

/Lars