Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:51:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        Clem.Dye@wdr.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: NetGear FA310-TX???

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (actually, it was on 28-Jun-99),
the great prophet Clem.Dye@wdr.com once wrote:
> According to the 3.2 release notes, the NetGear FA310-TX Rev. D1 is a
> supported card. I note that a specific revision is mentioned. I have
> a Rev. C version of the card. Does this mean that my Rev. C won't
> work with 3.2, or is it a case that only the Rev. D1 card has been
> tested? It does seem a little odd that this is the only card
> singled-out with a specific revision #, which makes me a little
> suspicious .....

It seems that Netgear has been playing "musical controller chips" as of
late.  The D1 revision is supported only because, in this (and later)
revisions of the card, Bay Networks/Netgear has switched to the Lite-On
PNIC chip (supported by the pn0 driver).  Earlier revisions of the card
presumably used other, more proprietary (i.e. non-supported) chipsets.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>-Member The FreeBSD Project| PGP: Your
*NEW* WWW HomePage: http://more.at/dburr/ ICQ #16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.