Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:34:41 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        ctm-announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   CTM mirrors

OK, I feel it is time to say a bit about what is happening.  I am the
owner of the computer that generates the CTM delta's.  Chuck who has
been managing CTM is not able to manage it right now.  So I have taken
it upon myself to try to keep it working.

Last week the computer had a serious disk crash, which has now been
fixed.  This was the reason for the last delay.

Now, I am trying to persuade the various FreeBSD mirrors to update their
mirrors.  The response I am getting is "why do people use CTM when there
is CVSUP"?  Here is an edited excerpt from a message I got in response
when I sent a message to freebsd-hubs:

..... as a mirror admin, i have to admit, i'm still not clear on what
CTM
is and who uses it.  since you appear to..

o what is it ?
o where is the "master" site ?
o how much disk space does a full current CTM archive require ?
o how does one mirror it ?  rsync ?
o how does one make it available to end users ? (plain old http/ftp?)
o why would someone need access to it over the CVSup tree ?

So if you chaps could help me out with the public relations, I would
really appreciate it.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen@math.missouri.edu