Date:      Mon, 1 May 2017 04:53:26 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Dan Mahoney <thegushi@me.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Module "kernel" exists but with wrong version, after upgrade.  (But still working)

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 17:46:04 -0700, Dan Mahoney wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> After doing a full-on upgrade from 8.4, to 10.3 via freebsd-update,
> my system is running fine, but I see this error at startup:
>
> It seems harmless enough, but I’m concerned.
>
> Strings /boot/kernel/kernel show that it is in fact 10.3-P18, but I
> don’t know where the loader (I assume it’s the loader) is reading the
> alternate version from that’s “wrong”.  (I.e. it would be super nice
> if the two conflicting versions were printed).

Check if /boot/loader.conf contains an entry to load the
alternate kernel file (that could be left in /boot during
the upgrade process).

Especially check for those:

kernel="kernel"         # /boot sub-directory containing kernel and modules
bootfile="kernel"       # Kernel name (possibly absolute path)

(taken from /boot/defaults/loader.conf)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany