Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:15:53 +0100 (BST)
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        dougb@freebsd.org, mexas@bristol.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: after pkg-config -> pkgconf update lots of packages show missing dependency on devel/pkg-config

	Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:55:31 -0700
	From: Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
	To: Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
	CC: freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
	Subject: Re: after pkg-config -> pkgconf update lots of packages show missing
	 dependency on devel/pkg-config

	On 07/30/2012 14:18, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
	> I did portmaster -o devel/pkgconf devel/pkg-config
	> as advised. Now doing "portmaster --check-depends"
	> returns 235 ports with
	> "missing dependency: devel/pkg-config".
	> I thought the "-o" portmaster option is specifically
	> to update the dependencies list. Am I wrong?
	> Or is this not possible in this particular case?

	It certainly should have worked, yes. Are you using the latest
	portmaster?

$ pkg info -xo portmaster
portmaster-3.13.13: ports-mgmt/portmaster
$

with pkgng patch

	And can you tgz and send me your /var/db/pkg directory?

http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/var_db_pkg.tar.xz

	> Anyway, I presume this is a benign warning, and
	> none of my 235 ports need to be rebuid, right?

	'portmaster -y --check-depends' is the right answer here. The run
	dependency on pkg-config has always been bogus, it's just that we're
	only now working on fixing it.

Same thing:
http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/depends

Note there are also lots of dependencies on perl5.14,
even though I did portmaster -o lang/perl5.16 lang/perl5.14
at the time (/usr/ports/UPDATING from 20120630).

In case it matters, these particular outputs are
from r237134 ia64. However, I get similar results
on amd64 -current too.

Many thanks for looking into this.

Anton

	--

	    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
	    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what