Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 2020 16:15:02 -0600
From:      ericr <erobison@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filesystem checksum problems on AWS EC2 instances

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 6:24 PM Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com> wrote:

> On 2020-09-15 14:30, ericr wrote:
> > Sep  1 20:50:15 <kern.crit> freebsd kernel: UFS /dev/gpt/rootfs (/)
> > cylinder checksum failed: cg 0, cgp: 0x9c14700e != bp: 0x27bfa3d0
> > Sep  1 20:50:15 <kern.crit> freebsd syslogd: last message repeated 1
> times
> > Sep  1 20:50:15 <kern.crit> freebsd kernel: UFS /dev/gpt/rootfs (/)
> > cylinder checksum failed: cg 7, cgp: 0x43ed3fa1 != bp: 0xe9b0182e
> >
> > and from there on, I get cylinder checksum errors pretty often.
>
> Do you get this if you launch from the non-Marketplace AMIs listed in the
> release announcement?
>   https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.1R/announce.html

Yes.  I just tried both of these AMI's from the release notes:
us-east-1 region: ami-0de268ac2498ba33d
us-east-2 region: ami-0a44f10b2c6deb365

I got the same errors. I haven't tried the 12.2-BETA images yet, I suppose
I should.

Theoretically they should be bit-for-bit identical, but I wouldn't put it
> past the Marketplace people to have somehow mangled it when they created
> their copy of the AMI disk image.

Seems odd that it happens with both the AMIs from Release Engineering and
the Marketplace.  I think the only change I'm making that would affect the
instance is that I change the disk size to 200GB.  It seems pretty idiot
proof, but maybe there's something I'm missing.

> > Also, does anyone have docs on how to create a custom AMI that'll create
> > ZFS root filesystem and install the OS to it?  I can't seem to find AMIs
> > for 12.1-RELEASE that use it.
>
> I created some ZFS images for FreeBSD 12.0 last year -- you could launch
> one
> of those and upgrade:
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-cloud/2019-February/000200.html

Thanks for the pointer!