Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 19:58:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        freebsd-mirror@sol.cs.ritsumei.ac.jp, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can anyone educate me on the packages directories?

<<On Fri, 17 Oct 1997 16:14:02 -0700 (PDT), asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami) said:

> I thought you just needed to point the user to the "real" source
> (ftp.freebsd.org will do) as long as they are distributing it.

No, the GPL technically requires that anyone who DISTRIBUTES a binary
must also make the exact source used to build that binary available,
either as a part of the same transaction, or at some future demand of
the recipient.  I really can't justify buying another $300 disk for
the distfiles.

-GAWollman