Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 00:22:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
Cc:        Doug Reynolds <mav@wastegate.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: multihomed routing woes..

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Doug Reynolds wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 21:15:30 -0500, Allen Landsidel wrote:
>

> >> The real problem here is that you are running publics on your
> >> inside.  Why are you doing this and not using static nat for this?
> >
> > Why should I use nat if I'm paying for an IP block?  The lan is not an
> > intranet, it's a bunch of "real" servers out on the internet.

	You didn't understand me, sorry if I didn't explain in detail.

	You still use your Public address space, except you let nat on the
	firewall dish out address space via -redirect_address directives
	as explained by Mr. Reynolds below.

> someone will probably tell me that this is way out of line and maybe
> twisted, and you'd probably need a killer firewall machine but hear
> goes:
>
> 1) assign all your ip addresses (that you need) of your server bank LAN
> to the nic card in your main firewall machine
> 2) assign private addresses to everything
> 2) run NATD and put redirect_address statements in a configuration
> files for each one of your servers
> 3) firewall out all the ports you don't want going to which ever
> machine. i'd at least leave open a ssh port open on all the servers so
> you can change the configuration.
>
> the only problem i see is that this must take up to much resources, and
> defeat the purpose of having individual servers :)

	This is not entirely a bad thing to do.  I would not bind the
	addresses to the NIC.  Instead I would route the IP block via the
	upstream router to the firewall.  That way no address binding is
	needed and natd is still happy.  Either way is still a legal play.

	The resouces used would be minimal if the traffic was reasonable.

> or, dump all the ips and NATD everything.
>
> that only plus on having the above config would be you'd have seperate
> ip address for each host, whereas you'd have to CNAME everything just
> to NATd everything

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets