Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 20:50:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Whistle Claims and Copyrights

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Jan B. Koum  wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 25, 1998 at 07:09:18PM -0800, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>> http://www.whistle.com/products/prod-basicfaq.html#bsd
>>
>> They use BSD instead of free software? Gag!! I guess they are afraid to
>> "come out of the closet."
>>
>> To be fair, they do meet the requirements of the Board of Regents
>> copyright terms.

>	Ahh.. C'mon. Whistle has done SO MUCH for FreeBSD community it is
>	simply not fair to blame them of something as small as this.

No, no ,no. Oh dear. It was not my intent to "blame" them for anything.
Hence the comment, "To be fair, they meet the license." They do. I did
point out what I feel is a bit inconsistent. "BSD instead of free
software" is inconsistent.

I was mostly trying to raise the issue of FreeBSD writing itself into the
copyright. This I claimed was "wholly appropriate" as FreeBSD has put it's
own code into the source tree.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/