Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2012 10:51:16 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VIA VL8xx USB 3.0 controller supported?

In message <201212050807.27158.hselasky@c2i.net>,
Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net> wrote:

>There are generic classes for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 and the list of supported
>hardware would be ever growing and unfair.

"unfair"?

I think that both of the objections you just raised could also be applied
to various ethernet chipset drivers, and yet on the man pages for those,
in general, we can see lists of the specific supported chips for each.

It only seems to be the man pages for the drivers relating to USB chipsets
that are breaking with this tradition by ommitting this vital information.

>What does pciconf -lv output?

Here it is.  I personally don't know how to read this, so any help would be
appreciated.  (It does appear to me however that the VIA USB 1/2 controllers
that are present on the motherboard _are_ being seen, but that, as I have
said, the kernel is not even seeing the presence of the new USB 3.0 PCIe
add-in card.)

P.S.  Unfortunately, I am not actually able to test the card in any Windows
system at the moment.  I simply do not have access to any such that have PCIe
slots.

hostb0@pci0:0:0:0:	class=0x060000 card=0x03361106 chip=0x03361106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'K8M890CE Host Bridge'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = HOST-PCI
hostb1@pci0:0:0:1:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x13361106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
hostb2@pci0:0:0:2:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x23361106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
hostb3@pci0:0:0:3:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x33361106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
hostb4@pci0:0:0:4:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x43361106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'K8M890CE Host Bridge'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = HOST-PCI
ioapic0@pci0:0:0:5:	class=0x080020 card=0x00000000 chip=0x53361106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'K8M890CE I/O APIC Interrupt Controller'
    class      = base peripheral
    subclass   = interrupt controller
hostb5@pci0:0:0:7:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x73361106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'K8M890CE Host Bridge'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = HOST-PCI
pcib1@pci0:0:1:0:	class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0xb1881106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x01
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'VT8237 PCI bridge [K8T800/K8T890 South]'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = PCI-PCI
pcib2@pci0:0:2:0:	class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0xa2381106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x01
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'K8T890 PCI to PCI Bridge Controller'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = PCI-PCI
pcib3@pci0:0:3:0:	class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0xc2381106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x01
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'K8T890 PCI to PCI Bridge Controller'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = PCI-PCI
atapci0@pci0:0:15:0:	class=0x01018f card=0x72531462 chip=0x05911106 rev=0x80 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'VT8237A SATA 2-Port Controller'
    class      = mass storage
    subclass   = ATA
atapci1@pci0:0:15:1:	class=0x01018a card=0x72531462 chip=0x05711106 rev=0x07 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE'
    class      = mass storage
    subclass   = ATA
uhci0@pci0:0:16:0:	class=0x0c0300 card=0x72531462 chip=0x30381106 rev=0xa0 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller'
    class      = serial bus
    subclass   = USB
uhci1@pci0:0:16:1:	class=0x0c0300 card=0x72531462 chip=0x30381106 rev=0xa0 hdr=0x00
uhci2@pci0:0:16:2:	class=0x0c0300 card=0x72531462 chip=0x30381106 rev=0xa0 hdr=0x00
uhci3@pci0:0:16:3:	class=0x0c0300 card=0x72531462 chip=0x30381106 rev=0xa0 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller'
    class      = serial bus
    subclass   = USB
ehci0@pci0:0:16:4:	class=0x0c0320 card=0x72531462 chip=0x31041106 rev=0x86 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'USB 2.0'
    class      = serial bus
    subclass   = USB
isab0@pci0:0:17:0:	class=0x060100 card=0x33371106 chip=0x33371106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'VT8237A PCI to ISA Bridge'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = PCI-ISA
hostb6@pci0:0:17:7:	class=0x060000 card=0x337e1106 chip=0x287e1106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'VT8251 Ultra VLINK Controller'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = HOST-PCI
vr0@pci0:0:18:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x72531462 chip=0x30651106 rev=0x7c hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'VT6102 [Rhine-II]'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
hostb7@pci0:0:19:0:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x337b1106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'VT8237A Host Bridge'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = HOST-PCI
pcib4@pci0:0:19:1:	class=0x060401 card=0x337a1106 chip=0x337a1106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x01
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'VT8237A PCI to PCI Bridge'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = PCI-PCI
hostb8@pci0:0:24:0:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x11001022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]'
    device     = 'K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = HOST-PCI
hostb9@pci0:0:24:1:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x11011022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]'
    device     = 'K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = HOST-PCI
hostb10@pci0:0:24:2:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x11021022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]'
    device     = 'K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = HOST-PCI
hostb11@pci0:0:24:3:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x11031022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]'
    device     = 'K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = HOST-PCI
vgapci0@pci0:2:0:0:	class=0x030000 card=0x0f021002 chip=0x5b621002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
    device     = 'RV380 [Radeon X600 (PCIE)]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA
vgapci1@pci0:2:0:1:	class=0x038000 card=0x0f031002 chip=0x5b721002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
    device     = 'RV380 [Radeon X600]'
    class      = display
hdac0@pci0:128:1:0:	class=0x040300 card=0x72531462 chip=0x32881106 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'VIA Technologies, Inc.'
    device     = 'VT1708/A [Azalia HDAC] (VIA High Definition Audio Controller)'
    class      = multimedia
    subclass   = HDA