Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 18:05:25 +0100
From:      Cillian Sharkey <cns@psn.ie>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Post-shutdown hook for UPS shutdown?

On 19 May 2000, Doug White wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2000, Cillian Sharkey wrote:
> > I need to execute a script (which tells the UPS to turn off) *after* the
> > system has come to a safe halt from shutdown -h. I can't place the commands
> > in /etc/rc.shutdown because this is too early in the shutdown sequence.
>
> To do anything that late you'd have to hack the kernel.

Hmm, thought so. However if all filesystems are unmounted after disks are
synced, wouldn't that make the software (kept in /usr/local) un-available..?

> I believe APC's units have a 'time-delay shutdown' line that you can
> throw as late as possible and it'll give you 10 seconds to get all the way
> down.  I'm not sure about the BackUPSs tho.

That's right - BackUPSs don't have the feature; they shutdown the moment
they get the signal.

> The other option is to not bother turning off the UPS; you're safe one
> you're halted.  That or try turning the machine itself off if apm and
> shutdown -p can do it.

I considered this, but we need unattended shutdown when power goes / reboot
when power comes back. If the power cut was long enough, the UPS battery
would soon cut out and the machines would bootup correctly when the power
comes back, however this doesn't work if the power comes on before the
battery has fully discharged..

--
Cillian