Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:53:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:  Why is the STABLE branch not so stable anymore?

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Pete Fritchman wrote:

> When you report a problem, remember this isn't a commercial entity,
> but a volunteer project and that a 6-hour turnaround time is pretty
> decent.

    A 6-hour turnaround time is pretty frigging *AWESOME*, actually.
I never cease to be amazed at the level of support there is for most
open source software, given that no formal support agreement exists
with the user base.

    By way of contrast, it took one of the larger software companies
in the world more than three days to verify the sev. 1 I demonstrated
to them (only after I handheld one of their engineers through porting
the test case from HP-UX to their reference platform), and another 36
hours to deliver a fix, and that support literally cost a fortune.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)