Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:06:45 +0300
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        davidg@Root.COM, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Steven Wallace <swallace@ece.uci.edu>
Subject:   Re: sym links

In message <199503210923.BAA00144@corbin.Root.COM> David Greenman
    writes:

>   Well, that's how POSIX would have it...but in FFS they are stored in the
>inode if short and in a regular disk block if long. They're only made to

POSIX says a little about simlinks, they tends to ignore them when possible
and this intention cause such situation, I think.
In any case POSIX is _standard_ commitee (I mean they don't discover
completely new things) and NO so-called POSIX-symlinks
exists in the world when this draft was written, so it is obviously
misinterpretation.

>appear like they have no inode associated with them. I wouldn't object if we
>went back to the old way of doing this - with symlinks having an inode. The
>problem of a regular user not being able to delete a symlink he created in
>/tmp is one of the many problems with the way we have it now.

You point to serious problem, even for it alone is worse to revert
to previous behaviour.
I vote YES for restoring canonical thing, so many problems with new symlinks,
better to return to standard BSD way.
Let's start voting?

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -