Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 02:38:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940?

> > >   To some extent.  It is instesting that a good EISA system can best a
> > > poor PCI system.  Woe to those buying cheap PCI motherboards.
> >
> > My old 486DX33 ECS EISA/VLB Sis chipset with write back cache performs
> > better at memory speed benchmarks than most cheap PCI motherboards
> > by a large margin (29MB/sec on the EISA board, I have seen as low
> > as 20MB/sec on some PCI boards for the same test, same memory size, same
> > CPU chip])
> >
> > The fastest 486 PCI motherboard I have tested is the ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G,
> > it uses 72 pin simms and memory interleaving (Ie, you *must* install
> > simms in pairs).  With a DX4-100 CPU chip in this board you can beat
> > almost every P5-60 out there in ``time make CLOBBER=true world'' given
> > identical memory and disk setup.
> >
> > My data on the ASUS PVI-486AP4 is not comparible as it was done using
> > a DX33 chip, but the gut feeling of the box is that it has okay, but
> > not great memory bandwidth.  I was also running it with 1 8MB simm.
> >
> > Guess I should go configure the standard DX2/66 16MB on that board and
> > run the test to see where it stacks up in the pile.
>
> Okay, I stuck 16MB in it, a DX2/66 chip, and ram Poul's little test:
> thump:rgrimes {103} ./ram-speed
> 49005fb0   0.758 uS/op 1.32e+06 op/S  5.033 Mb/S
> 8938c0df   0.432 uS/op 2.32e+06 op/S  8.833 Mb/S
> thump:rgrimes {104}
>
> Can you say dog ass slow!!!  Defanitly not a compile engine :-)

AHhh... ooopsss... this board has a backward turbo switch, I was
running it in the bench set up with out a real switch on it or
the LED.  Turns out you have to put a jumper on the turbo pins to
get it into turbo mode.  That and a a few tweaks to the memory
system (Memory speed set to 60nS/max, DRAM CAS Pipeline on, SRAM to
FAST) got me this:
thump:rgrimes {103} ./ram-speed
49005fb0   0.433 uS/op 2.31e+06 op/S  8.801 Mb/S
8938c0df   0.185 uS/op 5.39e+06 op/S 20.569 Mb/S
thump:rgrimes {104}

Running the BDE/LJO/RWG memory test program it does about 33MB/sec
writting to main memory and 40 reading.  This is now actually faster
than my ECS SIS VLB/EISA motherboard slightly (26MB/29MB).