Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 23:42:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        shannon@widomaker.com (Shannon Hendrix)
Cc:        jandrese@mitre.org (Jason Andresen), acahalan@cs.uml.edu (Albert D. Cahalan), ccf@master.ndi.net, gordont@bluemtn.net, jkh@osd.bsdi.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

Shannon Hendrix writes:
> On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 12:03:33PM -0400, Jason Andresen wrote:

>> Here's the results I got from postmark, which seems to be the closest
>> match to the original problem in the entire ports tree.
>>
>> Test setup:
>> Two machines with the same make and model hardware, one running
>> FreeBSD 4.0, the other running RedHat Linux 7.0.

That should be FreeBSD 4.3 and Red Hat 7.1 at least,
or -current and 2.4.5-pre5. Considering that this is
about a new system, the latest software and hardware
ought to be used. Reiserfs only became stable just
recently; the 2.4.1 kernel would be a dumb choice.

>> 10000 transactions, 500 files.
>> 10000 transactions, 60000 files

Even 60000 files is insignificant by Reiserfs standards.
The test gets interesting with several million files.