Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:50:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Call for *quick* review] architecture-specific manpages

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> Two days ago I fixed the bug in manpath that would allow a malicious
> user create empty catpages, and sent the notice to security-officer
> (which you are a member of).  I got no replies so far, and I am a bit
> confused since (in my opinion) this definitely deserves the security
> advisory.

If the security-officer responds slowly to requests, it's because we keep
having to put out fires because people keep committing security problems
to the tree.  Often times, we receive little or no assistance from code
maintainers in correcting problems they've introduced, and usually end up
fixing the problems ourselves rather than being able to rely on code
maintainers to do the job right the first time, or fix it when a mistake
is pointed out.  We have little or no success at pursuading people who
introduce security holes to offer us any assistance in helping them in
their future commits, as we ask them to send mail to the -audit list for
review, and more than likely they flat out refuse, saying we can go read
the changes in the repository later and to stop wasting their time.
Often, we're busy being flamed for security holes introduced by other
people that we spend time fixing.

The following two paragraphs refers not specifically to you, when saying
"you", but rather the FreeBSD developer community as a whole, so please
don't take it personally, as it's not clear that 3/4 of this applies to
the man bug you're refering to.

So if you have a problem with the security-officer timelag, there are a
number of things you can do.  For one, you can cooperate in making our
lives easier by looking for review on the -audit mailing list, so we don't
have to sit there and play CVS games to find and fix all the security
holes.  That way you can be involved in the testing and fixing of the
problems, and not have us constantly looping on buildworld trying to fix
problems before they are MFC'd or -CURRENT turns into -STABLE.  You can
avoid MFC'ing rapidly before we've had a chance to review code, especially
if the code is sensitive to security (i.e., it runs with privilege
(daemons, periodic code, ...), runs setuid or setgid to any user, binds
network ports, uses /tmp without using mkstemp(), and so on).

You can try to remember a few simple coding guidelines, such as always
checking return values on string functions (or any function) and
attempting to fail cleanly and "closed", and not reproducing security
holes that have been fixed literally thousands of times before.  You can
remember that every time we have to release a security advisory, it costs
a lot of people a lot of time and money.  It takes us substantial time to
evaluate/fix the problem, write the advisory, build patches for various
branches and releases, and then provide support for all the people who
can't figure it out.  It costs everyone money who has to upgrade to deal
with a security problem, and that adds up to a lot of money in
administrator time.  Security holes and fixes aren't "fire and forget",
they waste everyone's time.  And when the vulnerabilities result in active
exploitation and compromise, then they result in people switching away
from FreeBSD.

Also, they make us look pretty rediculous.  We've released more security
advisories this year than Microsoft has (28 vs 12).  If you exclude ports
and re-releases (leaving aside the ipfw rerelease, which should not be
ignored), we're doing better, but even so, that's far from good. Since the
beginning of the year, we've averaged over an advisory a week on the base
system, and yes, we have more in the queue.  This year we've been
particular prone to failure in the contrib code (BIND, OpenSSH), but last
year was fraught with base system problems that were clearly not in the
base code.  Many of this year's advisories have been on problems
introduced a fair distance in the past; many of last year's that was not
true for (i.e., the problem was reported within 6 months of it being
committed, and typically in a release branch).  And, if you're interested,
there are repeat offenders who seem to be responsible for the majority of
the security holes we deal with.