Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:20:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/47818: ln(1) manpage is confusing

The following reply was made to PR docs/47818; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 03:15:51 +0200

 [-- adding to audit trail --]

 : Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 03:01:31 +0200
 : From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
 :
 : On 2003-02-02 12:31, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com> wrote:
 : > >Originator:	Gary W. Swearingen
 : > >Synopsis:	ln(1) manpage is confusing
 : > >Category:	docs
 : > >Release:	FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE i386
 : > >Environment:	n/a
 :
 : This sort of change applies equally to 5.X and 4.X (or older)
 : versions.  I still remember the thread in -doc.  Thanks for
 : reminding me about it Gary, because I `lost' it in the rest of
 : the doc PRs.
 :
 : > The "ln" manual is confusing.  This was cause for a recent -questions
 : > thread on the subject where that sentiment was confirmed by several
 : > people.  Here are some problems:
 : > 1) Many newbies aren't familiar with its use of "target", or even with
 : > the more common use of the term.
 :
 : I don't like the to_filename and from_filename names either though :(
 :
 : I would probably prefer the names:
 :
 : 	newlink		for the hard or symbolic link file name
 : 	file		for any existing files
 :
 : the difference in names makes it pretty clear which one is which, and
 : if you still have doubts if the reader will grasp the difference of
 : the two 'file' names, we can explicitly write in the text of the
 : manpage the fact that 'file ...' refers to existing files, while
 : 'newlink' refers to the files created by ln(1).
 :
 : Deciding what to call the two arguments of ln(1) is not an easy task.
 : I have thought a lot about it before replying.  It is imperative we
 : find a good way to name them though, as this will also fix a lot of
 : the wrongs you have (rightfully) pointed out.
 :
 : > 9) The last sentence of the first paragraph is more noise than help.
 :
 : Perhaps, if we expanded the difference a bit with the following?
 :
 : 	  How a link
 : 	  .Dq points
 : 	  to a file is one of the differences between a hard and symbolic link.
 : 	+ Hard links are effectively different names for the same set of
 : 	+ disk blocks.
 : 	+ Removing one of the hard links of a file does not free the
 : 	+ space of the rest of the hard links and return the disk space
 : 	+ occupied by the file to the pool of free space on the disk.
 : 	+ Symbolic links (also known as
 : 	+ .Dq symlinks )
 : 	+ point to a specific file name.
 : 	+ If you remove the file that a symbolic link points to, the
 : 	+ disk space occupied by the file is freed to.
 : 	+ The symbolic link continues to point to a file that no longer
 : 	+ exists.
 : 	+ It is then called a
 : 	+ .Dq broken
 : 	+ symbolic link.
 :
 : Does this look better than deleting the line?
 :
 : > 11) The beginning of the description doesn't mention the "link" command.
 :
 : This needs fixing.  I agree.  But isn't the paragraph near the end of
 : description good enough already?
 :
 :      When the utility is called as link, exactly two arguments must be
 :      supplied, neither of which may specify a directory.  No options
 :      may be supplied in this simple mode of operation, which performs
 :      a link(2) operation using the two passed arguments.
 :
 : - Giorgos