Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:04:02 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?

> The problem is that, because Walnut Creek is really the source for the
> CD-ROMs, folks here are powerless to do very much. The best we can do

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is complete and total
equine exhaust material.

As I've frequently stated here, all you have to do is tell me WHEN AND
WHERE to send CD-ROMS and they will be sent.  The various
advocacy-minded members of FreeBSD's user base actually have
tremendous power to bring about change with very little effort since
all they have to do is identify the targets and someone else (us) will
handle all the cost and efforts of dealing with them.  This applies to
the north american continent and most of Asia (through PHT) as far as
shipping and product is concerned and, for CDs going elsewhere, we can
at least provide the product for trans-shipment by a 3rd party.  This
constitues a significant financial committment on our part either way
and to say that everyone else is powerless even with such assistance
really substantially sells short the efforts of many users to prove
the exact opposite over the years.  We've done a lot with the CD
give-away program and continue to do so.

I don't think people really quite realize just how many CDs are
provided freely and at substantial expense to Walnut Creek CDROM - I
think the 2.2.6 give-away program ran well into high 5 figure amount$
and, indeed, the only reaction we got from Brett was heavy criticism
for sending out a product with "known security problems."  Sometimes I
think it's just impossible to satisfy some folks which, in turn, leads
me to wonder whether it's even worth-while trying to do so.  Ruminate
on that a bit, won't you?

- Jordan