Date:      Sat, 17 Sep 2016 09:47:10 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Checking port option descriptions

On Friday 16 Sep 2016 20:09:06 Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Even when the meaning is clear in  global sense, what are the implications
> for an application. E.g. "RTC=on: Add support for kernel real time clock"
> in mplayer. I know exactly what the RTC is, but I have no idea why I might
> or might not want it in mplayer.

For cases where one line comments won't suffice how about providing the facility
to include an extra text file in a port (perhaps "pkg-options") containing
notes about why some particular options would be chosen?

In its simplest form a user would be able to refer to the file before selecting
an option, A further enhancement could be to modify the way that configure
works so that the user can select an option and press "?" to see the section
of text, if any, from pkg-options explaining that option.

--
Mike Clarke