Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:12:21 +1030
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, "'Edward Gold'" <edgold@mindspring.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall 'A'uto partitioning

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 05:30:00PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

 > Having vinum support in sysinstall would cut into my consulting
 > business :-).

"Oh, sorry, let's not do that then!" :-)

 > Setting up a mirrored system is hard enough that people
 > are hiring consultants to do it.

Yes, I have to say that I've done a couple of these myself.

Another thing which would be useful is the ability to "vinum-ize"
an existing filesystem without destroying it first.  On Solaris and
IRIX I can do that by creating a logical volume with a single plex
which just happens to contain the same partition as the existing
filesystem, thereby wrapping the filesystem in the logical volume.
I can then mount that logical volume;  the entire process takes about
two minutes.  Adding additional plexes to it to grow it or add redundancy
is then done in the same way that'd be done for any other logical
volume.

I'm not sure that you can do that with vinum, though.  Greg and I talked
about it about six months ago as a nice thing to have, but there are,
of course, other priorities...

    - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton@internode.com.au (W)