Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:16:44 EST
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDCon East

Hi:
I'm coming into this discussion kind of late so I hope this is not
redundant.

Each city has good points and bad.  A spreadsheet/listing of these points
might help.  Some locations I have seen suggested seem a bit far-fetched.  I
think a choice has to be made as to how much BSDCon East should be about
advocacy/marketing/reaching out and how much it should be a vacation and
gathering for the current FreeBSD community.

For sheer numbers of people who might be attracted to learn more about
FreeBSD, NYC would make a good choice.  NYC just had a big Linux convention
that I understand was very successful.  Many of those people might be
interested in FreeBSD, and many more who are just starting to consider
FreeBSD/Linux and OpenSource might also be interested.  Also, other vendors
might be more willing to participate in BSDCon East, if attendence was
expected to be high.

NYC is fairly central in the heavily populated northeast, where I imagine
the largest pool of potential attendees are located.  For virtually all of
these people, NYC can be reached fairly easily and inexpensively by car,
AMTRAK, or the D.C. or Boston shuttle (air).  NYC is also easier to reach,
and generally a more attractive location, for any potential international
visitors.

Negatives: NYC is more expensive for attendees.  NYC has a more hectic, less
relaxed atmosphere.  Alligators in the sewers.

FYI: I live in NYC.  But I am not necessarily biased for NYC since I enjoy
getting out of the city when I can.  I *am* biased getting out the FreeBSD
message and enlarging the FreeBSD community.

John