Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 06:00:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing modules schg

Dag-Erling Smorgrav, at 12:23 +0200 on 27 Mar 2000, wrote:

> > When you ``make world'' with this set, are the existing files noschg'd
> > before the new copies are installed?
>
> Puh-lease. 'man install'.

Actually, the manpage is not the clear on the issue.  I see in the
introduction:

"If the target file already exists, it is overwritten if permissions
allow."

"Permissions allow"?  Not exactly nailing the nail's head if we are
talking about flags.  Further on I see:

     -f      Specify the target's file flags; see chflags(1) for a list of
             possible flags and their meanings.

This doesn't talk about what happens if the file exists.  Further I see:

"By default, install preserves all file flags, with the exception of
the ``nodump'' flag."

"Preserves all file flags" doesn't exactly explain to what extent install
will go to to clear the current flags so it can get its job done.

--
Frank Tobin		http://www.uiuc.edu/~ftobin/

"To learn what is good and what is to be valued,
those truths which cannot be shaken or changed."  Myst: The Book of Atrus