Date:      Tue, 22 May 2012 17:02:30 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   portsnap update won't update original /usr/ports

According to the handbook, one can do
   portsnap fetch
   portsnap update
and the update will work with a previously created ports tree;
I presume this includes one created during system install.

However, when I attempted this, portsnap complained:
   /usr/ports was not created by portsnap.
   You must run 'portsnap extract' before running 'portsnap update'.

Is there a way to use portsnap against this tree, or must I delete the
existing /usr/ports and do an extract first?

Thanks,

Gary