Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:38:34 -0400
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: cups-1.1.15.1

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:20:12AM -0400, Gerard Samuel wrote:
>AlanE wrote:
>
>>On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 01:43:24AM -0400, Gerard Samuel wrote:
>>

>>>Just a question.
>>>Is it neccessary to have cups build x11?
>>>Im trying to setup a print server and I'd prefer if I dont have to
>>>install x11.

>Because you replied back to me, with intent that you'll look into it, I
>subscribed to -ports.

Never know what useful bit you'll stumble across in there.

>Im no ports expert, but from what I saw in the Makefile, its calling on
>the ghostscript-gnu port which wants to install x11.

It is just using the fonts from ghostscript-gnu. It actually has its
own complete copy of ghostscript, called epsgs, which is used by
pstoraster, which produces the intermediate language used in converting
to specific printer languages other than PS.

>I noticed that there is also a ghostscript-gnu-nox11 port.  Maybe a
>switch at port build time to determine which way to go.

Well, the question is whether or not the no-x11 port has the necessary
fonts. Of course, if you are only printing to Postscript printers, then
this whole thing becomes moot.

Let me see waht I can do. I'll get back to you on this later today,
since it's a simple issue.

--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.