Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2012 18:33:29 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, Mike Tkachuk <mike@tkachuk.name>
Subject:   Re: Time Clock Stops in FreeBSD 9.0 guest running under ESXi 5.0

on 22/03/2012 18:13 Volodymyr Kostyrko said the following:
> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> on 22/03/2012 17:33 Volodymyr Kostyrko said the following:

>>> Better ask before setting as this doubles hpet0 (with HPET) or cpu0:timer (with
>>> LAPIC) interrupt rate for me.
>>
>> Does it make your system unusable?
>> Are you comparing with pre-eventtimers version of FreeBSD?
>
> In short term - no. Haven't tested it thoroughly. Results are the same (double
> interrupt rate according to `systat 1 -v`) for:
>  * i386 and amd64 9-STABLE;
>  * amd64 9.0.

No comment.

> As everything related to timing/freq/acpi can be unpredictive I wouldn't recommend
> this to anyone. I own at least two Intel CPU's failing somewhere near timing/apic
> when loading cpufreq and enabling powerd.

What exactly you wouldn't recommend?
Let's not introduce unrelated topics and vague uncertainties.

Setting kern.eventtimer.periodic to 1 makes eventtimer subsystem to behave less
efficiently but more similar to the pre-eventtimer code.  So this is #1 suggestion
when people run into some new problems with eventtimers.  Which is what this
thread is about.

--
Andriy Gapon