Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 1997 15:39:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      nsayer@quack.kfu.com
To:        fenner@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Fenner)
Cc:        joerg@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/3446

Bill Fenner writes:

> Synopsis: IPFIREWALL reject returns port unreachable, not host

> State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
> State-Changed-By: fenner
> State-Changed-When: Sun Jul 6 12:42:34 PDT 1997
> State-Changed-Why:
> Turns out this is yet another duplicate, for kern/3452.
> I missed that one because it's closed.

I don't know how so many duplicates got made. I believe I sent this
in a total of twice.

I must protest in the strongest possible terms the closure without
action of this PR.

The language given in the closure of 3452 suggests that the PR
should be dismissed because FreeBSD is acting correctly
according to the RFCs. That is not the issue here. The issue
here is that behavior that is correct according to the RFC
breaks what is perhaps the most populous unix implementation
that the world has ever known. I feel that that is worth at
_least_ of a sysctl variable (as exists for TCP extensions,
for exmaple), if not an outright substitution of behavior that
actually works for behavior that is theoretically correct.

Do we live and work in the real world or not?!

--
Nick Sayer  http://www.kfu.com/~nsayer/ |
nsayer [at] quack [dot] kfu [dot] com   |      AMD