Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:20:27 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        SADA Kenji <sada@bsdclub.org>
Cc:        trevor@jpj.net, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@NUXI.com, lioux@uol.com.br, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kill Netscape us ports and version 4.08. (was Re: Netscapebrowsersus  versions avail. abroad)

Hi,

My patches were sent as a PR, but I have problems with gnats,
and sometimes my PRs are not categorized, but set as "pending".
Anyway, it is PR 20162:

SADA Kenji wrote:

> It is because the browser binaries now Netscape inc. is distributing as
> "{communicator,navigator}-v474-us.*.tar.gz" is NOT the "us" restricted
> version, but almost world wide usable software.
> I don't want to add ".us" option to those ports, and I'm convinced that
> Girgen and Obrien agreed with this concept. Is this misunderstanding?
> Of cource I agree with your concept of 4.72 ports, but I guess thoese ports
> should be divided as independent ports (I named "n472-c/n") for special
> purpose for users stay in some countries where exportation is controlled with
> strong encription.

this proposal has my support. let's keep it simple. Two ports
with identical results but different names is very confusing.
As you say, the netscape distribution is not a US restricted
version, but a version for (almost) everyone. For serbs and
others needing weak crypto to stay legal (or really, to keep
netscape inc. legal?), who still want to use netscape products,
keep the old 4.72 export ports.

--
Palle