Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:25:22 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        "Roberto Samarone Araujo (RSA)" <sama@supridad.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Firewall - Help please

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 09:05:12AM -0300, Roberto Samarone Araujo (RSA) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've set up a FreeBSD 4.1.1 firewall that deny everything by default. I
> opened some ports that I need but, I'm having some problems with this
> services : DNS,FTP,POP3 and SMTP. I put this rules in order to open this
> services but, it doesn't work.
> Please, Help me

It looks pretty much ok, just a few remarks..

> ## Allow TCP through if setup succeeded
> $fw add pass tcp from any to any stablished

I *hope* this reads 'established', not 'stablished' ;)

> ## Allow DNS queries out in the world
> $fw add pass udp from any 53 to $ip
> $fw add pass udp from $ip to any
> ## Allow DNS access to my DNS
> $fw add pass tcp from any to $ip 53 setup

If you are running a nameserver and you want to allow the world to query
your server, then you should allow UDP queries to port 53, not just TCP.

> ## Allow setup of incomming email
> $fw add pass tcp from any to $ip 25 setup
> ## Allow POP3
> $fw add pass tcp from any to $ip 106 via $if setup

POP3 is usually on port 110, not 106.

> ## Allow FTP from local network
> $fw add pass tcp from $net:$mask to $ip 20 setup
> $fw add pass tcp from $net:$mask to $ip 21 setup
> $fw add pass udp from $net:$mask to $ip 20
> $fw add pass udp from $net:$mask to $ip 21

OK, this will be OK for incoming passive-mode FTP.  Most clients still
use active-mode FTP, though, so you should also allow outgoing connections.

In any case, it would be best if you allowed outgoing connections from your
address to pretty much anywhere:

$fw add pass tcp from $ip to any setup

> # Deny everything
> $fw add 65534 deny log all from any to any

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.