Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2017 14:10:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Fongaboo <freebsd@fongaboo.com>
Cc:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Subject:   Re: STUMPED: Setting up OpenVPN server on FreeBSD (self.freebsd)

Sorry I faded away there... This issue dragged on long enough that life
started setting different priorities. I got a bare metal machine to try
it on, but that brought further complexities... as the ports/pkgs for
OpenVPN and EasyRSA greatly differed between FreeBSD 10.2 and 11.1.

I put this on the back burner for now, as I was able to set up SSH tunnel
to the bare metal box and then use an app called Proxifier to route my
traffic on my PC and Mac.

But it brings to mind a question... Why are SSH tunnels pretty turnkey to
setup, and OpenVPN takes so much configuration (of both the app and the
host OS's networking)? When I tunnel SSH, it 'just works' and my client
machine uses the FreeBSD machine's gateway as its own.

Thank you to everyone that provided very meaningful troubleshooting. I
plan to dig back into this when I have more time.