Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:19:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        eT <eT@post.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which device should I make with this error?

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, eT wrote:

> During a make release for 3.2-RELEASE I get the following error:
>
> Making the regular boot floppy.
> Compressing doc files...
> sh -e /usr/src/release/scripts/doFS.sh -s mfsroot /R/stage /mnt  2880
> /R/stage/m
> fsfd 8000 minimum2
> vnconfig: open: Device not configured
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> What does this mean and how do I fix it?

According to http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ244.html#247 :

13.2. How do I make my own custom release?

   To make a release you need to do three things: First, you need to be
   running a kernel with the vn driver configured in. Add this to your
   kernel config file and build a new kernel:

        pseudo-device vn         #Vnode driver (turns a file into a
device)

Hence the 'vn' in 'vnconfig'...

...or, checking the manpage for vnconfig(8), it references vn(4) (aka
pseudo-device vn).

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.