Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:16:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, mccord@zytek.com
Subject:   Re: Continual DNS requests from mysterious IP

[Re: lots of queries for the MX server of aol.com:]

Samara McCord <mccord@zytek.com> writes:

> This is not an attack, but somewhat irritating.  Also it's something
> that no one would normally notice.  Well I was running tcpdump to check
> on something else and noticed this.  About once a second I'm getting
> DNS requests for the mail relay of "aol.com".

Actually, I'll bet this was an attack of sorts.  A server
we admninister was hacked a few months ago, and the attacker
was trying to send out tons of queries like this one with
spoofed source addresses (which we filter, which is how we found
out).  Looks like a simple-minded DoS attempt to me.

Perhaps DNS relaying will go a way similar to SMTP relaying:
allowed only from a specific set of IP addresses.

Jim Shankland
NLynx Systems, Inc.