Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:34:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Dr J.A.C. Stenton" <jacs@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Got locked out of my 4.4 Stable box this morning

I did my monthly update of freebsd-4.4.stable yesterday which installed
and rebooted fine. When I came in this morning I found a continual stream
of error messages coming out on the console from sendmail, inetd etc
saying something along the lines of  "device not configured". I was unable
to log in, I just got the login prompt immediately back. Having had to
press the reset button I've managed to get back into the system; there are
no messages in any of the log files relating to the console error
messages. From looking at lastcomm output it looks suspiciously like the
files system must have wedged sometime shortly after my amanda dump
process finished. Anyone had a similar problem recently?

Chris