Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:15:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        Richard Kiss <richard@homemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, tanizaki@excite.com
Subject:   Re: burning a cd

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (actually, it was on 10-Jun-99),
the great prophet Richard Kiss once wrote:
>>Can anyone point me towards some good documentation on how to burn a
>>cd-rom
>>with a HP 7200 cd-writer (ide) on 3.1 stable?
>>

>>Thanks,
>>
>>Matt Stacker
>
> Check my web site at <http://www.ogopogo.net/richard/freebsd/>; for info
> on
> FreeBSD 2.2.7. The information is a bit out of date and doesn't work
> completely in 3.x anymore, but there are still some useful details and
> links there.
>
> There are a couple scripts that might help you; try
> /usr/share/examples/atapi/burndata or
> /usr/share/examples/atapi/burnaudio.
> For example,
>
> sh /usr/share/examples/atapi/burndata wcd0a
> cd-image-file-created-with-mkisofs
>
> The problem is, it doesn't work for me. Like you, I have an HP-7200i.
> The
> last time I was able to build a CD-ROM was in 2.2.8. It almost seems
> (this
> is very unscientific) that it never actually writes, but just goes into
> test mode. Blanking a CD-RW doesn't seem to work. Writing just plain
> don't
> work.

I can successfully burn both audio and data CD-R's, and CD-RW's, under
FreeBSD using an HP 8200i (the 7200i's "big brother").  I have also heard
success stories from people who use 7200i's, so I know it works.

First, you really should be running 3.2-RELEASE or later.  The ac driver
under 3.x and 2.2.8 had bugs that would cause the cd-writer to not burn
properly.

Now, you need to be using the "acd" driver, *NOT* the "wcd" driver.  The
"wcd" driver is deprecated and should no longer be used.  So the relevant
kernel config lines should read: (alter as appropriate for your setup)

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
                                        # primary IDE controller
options         ATAPI                   # Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC            # Do it without LKM
device          acd0                    # IDE CD-ROM

Now, the drive should be Master.  I had problems when it was set to Slave.

Reboot and make sure the /dev/acd0* and /dev/racd0* devices exist, if not
use MAKEDEV to create them.

Also make sure the device probes properly.  You should see lines similar
to this upon bootup:

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (atapi): <Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 8200/1.0f>,
removable, acc
el, dma, iordis
acd0: drive speed 4134KB/sec, 2048KB cache
acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA, packet track
acd0: supported write types: CD-R, CD-RW, test write
acd0: Audio: play, 256 volume levels
acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
acd0: Medium: no/blank disc inside, unlocked

pay close atention especially to the "supported write types" line - if it
doesn't exist, then for some reason the system isn't recognizing it as a
CD writer.

Use the scripts in /usr/share/examples/atapi as a guide.  When burning a
disk you MUST use the "racdXc" device (ex. /dev/racd0c) , so for example,
use "burndata acd0c <iso-image-file>"

Hope this helps out -- if not, please feel free to e-mail me and I'll do my
best to help out.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>                           | PGP: Your
*NEW* WWW HomePage: http://more.at/dburr/ ICQ #16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.