Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:48:20 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        "Jeremy T. Parker" <kparker4@tampabay.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows NT 4.0 Server

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 10:32:20PM -0500, Jeremy T. Parker wrote:

| Hey. I am running Windows NT 4.0 Server, and when I installed it, it
| installed a boot menu and stuff, and the last time I installed Slakware, it
| messed up this boot menu and so I want to know if when I install FreeBSD if
| it will mess up this and make it unable to boot into Windows NT 4.0?

No, it won't unless you ask it to do so.  During the installation
procedure you'll get asked if you want a new MBR installed?  You'd
better answer "no" there ;)

On the other hand, saving the MBR, along with the boot sector of all
the partitions on a backup disk, i.e. a floppy is always a good idea.
I don't know how this can be done in NT 4.0 though.

I always keep a bootable CD handy, and a floppy with the boot sectors
of my disks *before* any installation begins.  Has certainly saved me
from a lot of trouble at times.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]