Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2021 08:32:02 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Mihai Carabas <mihai.carabas@gmail.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [bhyve][arm64] Number of allowed vcpus

On Wed, 2021-01-13 at 17:00 +0200, Mihai Carabas wrote:
> We are talking here about the device tree of the guest. If you boot
> up a guest with a device tree of X vcpus, why specify something else
> on the command line?

Because typing a command line arg is a lot easier than recompiling a
device tree.

IMO, these sorts of situations should always be thought of in terms of
"the source of info closest to the current/interactive user rules".  In
device drivers I often code logic to get paramters first from
devicetree data, then it can be overriden with device hints, and then
that can be overridden by sysctl or tunable info (when all 3 apply).

-- Ian