Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 13:36:46 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   tape media verify (was re: 4GB baraccuda...)

(not really a -hackers issue, but maybe a useful snippet...)

Pete Delaney stands accused of saying:
> is recurring all the time, like my DAT tapes when I've got a write error,
> the write ok, but on reading they get a media error, but then no matter
> what I do, the error is always there. If I write a DAT and it reads ok, then
> it seem to alreays read back ok. Seem the dat doesn't check what it writes.

Tape media are inherently sequential, and can't verify what they've written
without having seperate read and write heads.  Not many have this; most
tape units appear to rewind and check things like filemarks, but not bulk
data.

> -piet

(The subject is close to heart, as my home system was down over christmas
[phone screwup] and when I brought it back up, my boot disk [ST11200N]
flaked and died.  Big pout.)

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[