Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 1995 19:50:57 +1100 (EDT)
From:      "Gasparovski / Daniel (ISE)" <u923168@student.canberra.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: netscape 2.0b1 fouls directory

> Which user did you do this as?  Please elaborate on the part where you
> say "cannot be rm'd"  Thanks!
>
>                                 Jordan
>

> > Netscape 2.0b1 created a directory ~/.netscape-cache which cannot be rm'd.
> > I mv'd it to .foo and restart netscape which recreated the file .netscape
> >
> > Then tried to cd to .foo, works.. now say ls and it returns:
> > ls: .: No such file or directory
> >
> > The machine has been rebooted which should have run fsck on the partition
> > (I think..) no complaints of file system problems.
> >
> > How can I repair this netscape damage ?
> >
> > regards
> > kim
> >
> > --
> > kimc@w8hd.org

The *exact* same thing happened to me.  I rebooted into single user mode,
fsck'd the partition, and it removed the directory.  When I ran Netscape
again, it worked as normal.  It probably only stuffs thing up when
"upgrading" the old .netscape files.

This was done as "root".

Dan ...
[                   Danny Gasparovski | Mortified by the lack of conscience    ]
[     u923168@student.canberra.edu.au | Our sanctity bears no relevance        ]
[   University of Canberra, Australia | Insignificant is our existence         ]
[ Bolt Thrower, "The IVth Crusade" -> | Hear the litany of life's persistence  ]