Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:08:29 +0200
From:      Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvup mirrors and exact CVS dates

Hi!

I'm chugging along with the performance tracker project[1]. I have a
script constantly building jails using the newest CURRENT sources, and
since reproduceability is one of the goals, I have some questions
regarding cvsup mirrors and CVS in general (hope it's OK on this list):

1) To identify the jails, I name them after the CVS date I put in the
cvsup file. Now, if the date is now() (converted to UTC), can I be sure
that any given mirror (retrieved by fastest_cvsup) has the same set of
files? Or will some mirrors be behind and happily give me sources that
are older than what the main CVS server would report for that specific
CVS date?

2) On the same note, is there any way to uniquely identify a global
revision of the FreeBSD source tree, comparable to revisions in
Subversion? From what I understand, there is no way to know if e.g. CVS
dates 2007.10.25.13.45.00 and 2007.10.25.13.46.00 represent the same
source code, except updating to both dates and seeing if any files change.

Please Cc: me, I'm not on the list.

Thanks!
Erik Cederstrand

[1] http://wiki.freebsd.org/PerformanceTracker