Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:12:27 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chio trap with not-ready changer

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 21:02:51 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

> Ok, after some interesting side trips I'm happily up and talking to our
> new (well, new-old) SpectraLogic STL-8000.  There's only one catch so far
> - if the unit is still initialising itself when the 'ch' driver tries to
> talk to it, the latter fails in a messy fashion.  It's easy enough to
> work around this by increasing the SCSI delay, but if you have 40 tapes
> in the unit and it's busy reading the barcodes off them all, this can be
> a loooong wait. 8)
>
> Is there any interest in debugging this at the moment, or should I hang
> back until someone familiar with the 'ch' driver has some time to tinker?

Well, I don't infinite time to debug it, but I can certainly help you look
into it.

My guess is that the problem is that the mode sense that gets fired off on
probe is failing since the drive isn't initialized.

So the question is, how does it fail?  Does the command time out (you might
get a "timed out ..." message from the Adaptec driver), or does it just
return an error message and fail to attach?

Once we figure out how it is failing, we can try to figure out a way around
it.

IIRC, I've heard bad things about SpectraLogic changers, so I'm not sure
this is a surprise.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry