Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:27:33 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: handling static filenames

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:21:13PM +0100, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:51:25 +1100 Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I'm working on four ports (2 down, 2 to go) that have source archives
> > which do not change name when they are upgraded. How do we deal with
> > this? Keep a copy of foo.zip somewhere else, renamed to foo-1.23.zip
> > and list it in the Makefile instead of or as well as the author's
> > site? I could plonk them under people.freebsd.org but I don't know
> > that it's the right way to handle the situation. Do we have any
> > precedents or battle scars?
>
> if you look at other ports which handle this:
> they just do a
>
> DISTNAME=	${PORTNAME}
>
> or similar.

Thanks, but it was more the users' problems that I was concerned about.
What happens when http://www.foo.com/foo.zip changes slightly two weeks after
the port is out, BUT the filename is the same?
1. The properly downloaded source file will be unusable with the port.
2. The reason for the problem and its solution will not be obvious to the user.
3. There is no way to get the older file.
4. It is not obvious that a later port might work with the current file.
5. If the author fixes his doc typos every Sunday for a few weeks, it'll
   be a nightmare to keep up to date, and no chance of a satisfactory
   "last month" version being used since the source archive is
   (a) indistinguishable, and (b) not available from the site.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-