Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2012 08:21:43 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for Hyervisor to host FreeBSD

On Jul 5, 2012, at 7:43 AM, Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk> wrote:

> So, my work surprise for a Thursday morning is an urgent requirement to
> see if we can run a set of FreeBSD machines under virtualised servers.
> I have not done this before personally, but I notice from post here
> that it doesnt seem uncommon, and I see Xen related commits flowing
> past, so I am guessing it is doable.
>=20
> So, for running 8 or 9 STABLE can anyone recommend which hypervisor
> works best, and is 8 or 9 better as the OS to run ? Am doing a bit
> of research myself, but nothing beats persoanl experience in these
> matters!
>=20
> cheers,
>=20
> -pete.

Pete=20
  I am using VMware esxi v4.01 with no issues for 6, 7, 8 and 9 . Esxi will h=
appily host amd64 installs and i386 provider the underlying hardware support=
s it. The older esx 3.5 works as well on 32bit hardware but I am no longer u=
sing it. Also I use virtualbox 4 hosted on a Mac and a 9-stable amd64 box wi=
th little issue .

---
Mark saad | mark.saad@longcount.org